The Emerging Artist Program
The Raymond James Gasparilla Festival of the Arts is proud to showcase the work of emerging artists, representing a diversity of styles and media. The Emerging Artist Program recognizes and features the artwork of up-and-coming artists who wish to establish themselves in a professional visual arts career.
The limited number of emerging artists participating in the Festival are selected from a field of applicants through a jury process. Once selected, the artists are invited to display their work in the Festival at no cost. GFA will provide each emerging artist the use of an individual booth and a $250 expense allowance.
Although the emerging artists do not compete with the other artists in the Festival for prize money, their artwork will be reviewed by the Festival Award Juror, and one of them will receive the $1,500 Emerging Artist Award.
Applicants to the Emerging Artist Program should:
- not have an established record as a professional artist showing their work in museums, art centers, major galleries or juried art exhibitions
- not have more than 25% of their total annual income derived from the sale of their artwork
- not be professionally licensed as a visual artist
Emerging artists must abide by the same Festival Rules governing other Festival artists. The Emerging Artist Program application must be accompanied by the artist’s biographical statement and three digital images of their artwork.
The application process for the Emerging Artists for The 50th Annual Raymond James Festival of the Arts is now closed. Please check back in October 2020 for our 51st Annual Festival.
Video Recap: 46th Annual GFA Emerging Artists Program (2016)
Send questions to:
- Each artist must submit three digital images.
- The artwork shown on three digital images must have been produced in the last three years.
- The three images must represent the type of work that will be displayed in the booth.
- Only work of the quality and type illustrated in the artist’s images may be exhibited.
- The GFA rules committee may eject an artist exhibiting work not represented in his or her images.
- Digital images should be of a high enough resolution to clearly show the work submitted and in JPG format.
- The creation of any work on-site must be approved by GFA in writing prior to the Festival.
Essential Festival Information
- Digital images will be reviewed by a selection juror for invitation to the Festival.
- The Festival takes place February 29 – March 1, 2020.
- A juror of national prominence will jury accepted original work and award prizes on Saturday of the Festival. Winners are announced and awards are presented during the Arts & Drafts gathering at Saturday at 6 p.m., near the Artist Hospitality area. The artist must be present to accept his or her award before 5 p.m. Sunday evening at the Festival, or he or she will forfeit the award.
The Emerging Artist Program is made possible in part with the support of the Arts Council of Hillsborough County and the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners.